Monday, September 16, 2013

Scrap Map How To

I hope this week is off to a good start for each of you, and that you enjoyed the pages I shared over the weekend of some of the little people in my life.  I thought I'd do a bit of a 'techy' post today, and show my process for how "I" will sometimes do pages.  This is NOT to say that this is how everyone works--just what works for me, and hopefully there might be a tip or trick in there that you'll find helpful as well!

A good friend of mine shared a few photos of her daughter's school photo outfit, and I thought that it would be perfect to scrap!  All three photos were basically in 'portrait' style, so I started to browse thru my layout ideas until I came across one that I felt would be easy to adapt:

A few things to note.  I only had three photos to use, but decided to move the title over to the left side, and increase the journaling at the bottom, and really, there is NOTHING to say that you have to keep every element 'exactly' as your scrap map is designed.  It's just a good tool to be able to jump start your creativity, so don't feel that you can't take detours and left turns if you need to!

As usual, I like to design in a 12"x12" layout, so go ahead and open a new or already created file as desired.  I just want to make a quick mention about the screen above.  You'll notice the grey area that goes around the outside of the page (the page bleeds), and the small box that reads 'Barcode Area'.  The albums in My Digital Studio automatically open/default as a photo book, but if you're just wanting to design pages, if you 'right-click' on the first page in the bar along the bottom, you'll get the pop-up window to appear, and then just 'un-select' "This book has a photo cover".  This will change your page bleeds to the 12"x12" page, rather than the album cover, and you'll be good to go!  If you want to change it back and add an album cover later, you'd just need to go in and 're-select' that option! (But that's really another post for another time!!)

Once I have my page open, I'll go into my 'stash' where I have lots of layouts, and will copy/paste the image I want to use to design off of into my page.
Depending on the image size/quality, it may only insert as a 2-3" square, and you may need to drag the edges out to fit your page, but now I have a basic layout to build my design off of!  I really like to use punches, rather than the 'page layer' options, as I feel like I have an easier time adjusting things as I go along.


Once I get the initial punches in (I'm using odd colors--not necessarily the ones that I will have as my final options, just so you can see the different pieces as I'm going along), I'll select my 'master' image and "bring to front" again.  This just moves the piece I added behind it, and I can add the next pieces of my layout.
 In the image above, you'll notice that you can pull up the 'layers' option in the Resource Palatte, and it shows the layers from top to bottom--you can move things up/down as you go along if need be!!
 To get the 'torn edge' piece, I added the image from one of the stamp sets, then cropped it (below), as I really did not need as 'long' of a piece to maneuver as I was designing.

I went in to my 'Users' file and grabbed one of the triangle images (also a post for another time/place "Edit Shape" option) I had created and added that to the page, just adjusting the size/location/orientation.
Once that's done, I'll bring my 'master' layout to the front again, and then add the photo boxes.  For the sake of being able to 'see' them, I'll add a mat in white on each for now, but will change/adapt those later as needed.


After I get the various features added in, I'll delete the 'master' layout and find this waiting for me:
O.K.  Here's me being 'picky',  I really wanted to have the small line of DSP along the top/bottom (initially I had intended to make that a background paper of some sort), but I need to camouflage the pink torn-edged triangle, so I had to change a few things around. . . . so I changed around the top/bottom sections to punches, and decided to change the 'purple' section to a background paper instead.
I like it!!  So, now on to add my photos/DSPs/etc., and here's the final page I came up with:
I used 'Back to School' papers, color-matched her shirt and hair rosette to other colors on the page, then just added in a few 'blooms' for fun.  Lovin' the final page!!

You can check out My Digital Studio in my online store, and start creating some of your own memories right away!!

Happy Stamping!

Pam








No comments:

Post a Comment