Thursday, September 12, 2013

Keeping it Simple, Simon

I have a confession to make.  I have a REALLY hard time remembering to 'keep it simple' when I'm creating cards (or whatever)!  So much so, that a number of years ago, I created a really cute penguin card out of punches, and the slot punch (now retired) that I was using for the toes--TEN on each card!!--had my customers about ready to string me up!!  And ever since, my card difficulty ratings has been in 'penguin toes'!  It's actually become a source of humor, but they will often look at a card, look at me, then ask in all seriousness, "What's the Penguin Toe Rating on it?!"

So remembering to Keep it Simple, Simon (or K.I.S.S.) is something that I really try to remember as I'm designing cards, etc.  BUT then I come across a cool technique, and I want to share it, so then K.I.S.S. seems to frequently take a detour!!  Like this card for instance:

One of the other gals at Diva Day (Nicole) had made this card at the request of some of her customers--they wanted a relatively easy card that would be easy to duplicate in mass quantities.  It has a strip of Designer Series Paper, one stamp image and a rhinestone.  A Penguin Toe Rating of 1, but still, a VERY cute card!!  So I saw that card and had EVERY intention of copying it exactly as she had it to use as a card in one of my make-up Christmas Card Workshop sessions. . . . but then I also saw a cool technique that I wanted to try, so I once again took a detour . . . . and this is the card I came up with:
Believe it or not, it's still a relatively simple card.  On the Penguin Toe Rating, I'd probably give it a 3 out of 10.  There's a little bit of 'putz' work, but there are not any super tiny pieces to mess with.  I still tried to keep it simple with a single stamp on the front, but then I wanted to add a little ribbon, and a couple rhinestones, and strip of Early Espresso cardstock behind the ribbon, so I wasn't 'quite' able to keep it quite as simple as Nicole's version!

Are you loving the DSP on these cards?!  It's available in the Holiday Catalog--Seasons of Style Designer Series Paper Stack (132181), which you can also check out and order in my online store.

As for HOW to do the technique on the card I showed above, well, watch for when I'll be doing my upcoming Christmas Card workshops, and you can get the opportunity to make it then!!

Happy Stamping!

Pam


No comments:

Post a Comment