Thursday, August 22, 2013

Creating Facebook Timeline Covers in MDS


I don't know about you, but I LOVE creating my own Timeline Covers in My Digital Studio for both my business and personal pages on Facebook.  I thought I'd give you a few basic instructions of what I do when creating my covers.  I'm NOT saying this is the only way to do it--some folks may have found their own preferences for how they like to do them, and that's just fine, too!!  But maybe there will be a tidbit or two of helpful information in here for you!!

O.K., so doing a basic Google Search, a person can find that cover photos/images should be 851 pixels wide by 315 pixels high.  Now, with My Digital Studio, it's easy to create a canvas exactly that size, but when I first started out, I didn't have that handy/dandy option, so I had to work within the 10"x5" Easel Calendar template, and created punches that I just designed inside of, and edited the jpeg later to remove the 'white space' at the top of the image.

(copied from Facebook Page
Cover Photo Size Helper)
You'll also notice above that there is a space in the lower left side with some measurements.  That's for where your profile photo goes. . . .

(copied from Facebook Page
Cover Photo Size Helper)

When I create my canvas, I always insert a square punch for the profile photo, and color-fill it with black, so that I keep in mind as I'm designing to not put any major elements in that area of my design.  Before I export the image as a jpeg, I 'try' to remember to remove that square, but it's also possible to use it as part of the design elements of your page as well!!

So, Step 1:  Create a Custom Size project in MDS.  When you select the 'custom size' option, you'll notice that you can change the type of Units in the right most column along the top to Pixels, then type in 851 for Width and 315 for Height in the other two boxes.  Select 'Create Project', and then name it. 

Step 2:  When your project is created, you'll notice the numbers along the left side & top are in pixels.  Which is fine. . . . BUT don't freak out that the numbers look more like they're 1600+ x 600 pixels.  MDS will always go with the best quality image it can for you, but that DOES mean you'll have to adjust your sizes a little. . . . in this case it will be 1619 pixels wide by 598 pixels high (When the image is put into your Facebook page, the size just gets compressed back down to the 851x315, so just relax and have fun!!), and instead of a 180 pixel square for the profile picture, you'll want to make it 327 pixels square.  Now NONE of this is an exact thing for me.  I'll sometimes have to play around with it for a while to see if it's where I want it, etc. and that the sizes work for me.  These numbers work for me.  You may have a slight difference in what sizes/numbers work for you!  

Step 3:  Once I have the basics of the cover designed, I right-click on the bottom bar and select 'Insert Duplicate Page' so that I can keep the first one I do as a basic template for any future covers I want to design.  Makes designing new covers so much quicker/easier, as you've already done all of the work on the first one on basic placement!!  And you can just keep adding more images to the file--no need to create a new file for each cover!

Step 4:  Finally, add any DSP's, embellishments, stamps, etc. and have fun with creating your own Timeline Covers!!

This is the one I designed for my Business Page on Facebook:


And here are a couple other favorites of mine.  Love the patriotic look on this one!


Or how about one to celebrate the graduates in your life?!


You can really make the covers about anything you'd like, you're favorite quote, holiday or whatever!  Here's my favorite holiday:


For this fun one I actually used non-Stampin' Up! embellishments/etc. to let everyone know I Voted around election time!!


And of course, one can't leave out ideas for Christmas/Winter!


Now, the idea of creating Facebook Timeline covers can also be adapted to Blog Headers (I haven't changed mine yet--I will eventually!), or so many other ideas/options!  You can check out and get My Digital Studio for your very own use by visiting my online store

Happy Stamping!

Pam






No comments:

Post a Comment